Monday, July 28, 2008

Mouse Guard gift it, cause I said so

There gets to a point in the weekend that Comic Con International feels like work. Trying to get everything you want done in a short amount of time, without losing quality. I realized that my annoyance factor is exponentially proportional to my time on the convention floor. So I MUST break it up with panels or in a pinch one of the many Anime rooms. But it is still fun. There is so much to talk about at the Comic Con, here are some of the creators I care about...

While at lunch on Preview night at the Tin Fish I spotted one of my all time favorite comic writers Terry Moore of Strangers in Paradise and his wife. We visited him at his booth to check out his new book Echo. Also attended his panel on Friday to see what new projects he has coming up in the next year. I am enjoying the fact that he is doing things for other publishers like for Marvel’s Runaways.

One of the first people we talked to all weekend was Paul Levitz, writer and current President of DC Comics. The conversation went like this… blah blah Legion blah blah archive blah blah. At this point I was just here for the picture and to keep my eyes out for someone I wanted to talk too.

My goal for the weekend was to fulfill my inner fan-girl by hovering over Looking for Group’s Ryan Sohmer and Lar deSouza. I watched as two other girls asked everyone if they were single. *shiver* I did get my stack of Looking for Group comics signed by both of them. Issue #4 just came out last week and was the first copy that Lar had seen. That was a fun thing.

I met artist J.G. Jones. His art was on this years convention T-shirt. It is always a treat for the eyes. I also discovered Gris Grimley who collaborated in illustrating Neil Gaiman’s The Dangerous Alphabet. I really like his work and look forward to seeing more of it.

I highly recommend for gifts for all ages is Mouse Guard, written and illustrated by David Petersen. Talking with Bill Willingham, he is pushing for a Mouse Police (from Fables) and Mouse Guard cross over. That would be so great! This is a really great story and the illustrations are beautiful. A must read and a great gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment